Sign up for a Large Format Photography workshop at Red Hook Labs.
This two-day hands-on workshop will provide a comprehensive introduction and an in-depth technical knowledge to 4×5 view cameras and will include demonstrations, a shoot and critique.
- An overview of the camera: benefits and obstacles of using this format
- An introduction and slideshow of artists (also contemporary) who use large format in various genres
- A comprehensive introduction to camera parts and operations, including a piece by piece breakdown
- Loading film into film holders
- A shooting demonstration with instructor
- A shoot while focusing on controlling perspective, depth of field, focus and composition
- Feedback and critique
Day 1: Saturday, February 24, 10 – 5 pm
Day 2: Saturday, March 3, 10 – 5 pm
The class is limited to 10 photographers.
Requirements: This workshop is for students who have a working knowledge of conventional cameras. A basic knowledge of exposure and camera settings is a must.
About the instructor: Jon Henry is a Queens-native, Brooklyn-based artist, whose work has been featured in numerous exhibitions. He studied at CUNY Queens College and New York Film Academy. His project Stranger Fruit recently won Best in Show at BRIC Arts Media in the show: Open (C)all: Truth and was also recently selected by Smack Mellon for Hot Picks 2017 and shortlisted for the Lucie Foundation grant. Stranger Fruit was selected by a jury of acclaimed industry professionals to be featured in Labs New Artists show at Red Hook Labs in 2017.
All equipment and supplies are provided by Red Hook Labs, including 4×5 Sinar cameras and lenses, light meters, film sheets and changing bags.
All Labs proceeds from this workshop will benefit our non-profit Red Hook Labs Education and Jobs Initiative. The fee to Red Hook Labs Education and Jobs Initiative is tax- deductible to the extent allowable by law.
If you have any questions, please e-mail at email@example.com.